Welcome to the First-Year Experience at UHMC!
First Year Experience (FYE) is a one-year learning community that provides first-year college students the resources and support needed to successfully transition to college. FYE helps students start their first-year of educational journey on the right path and features a series of programs and activities designed to help students succeed:
- Fall Welcome introduces new UHMC students to resources and faculty members. Additionally, students engage in activities leading to understand their purpose as college students and self-awareness and an awareness of others. Students also receive a campus tour led by Peer Navigator tour leaders.
- Welcome Week helps students get settled on campus and allows students to connect with essential support programs and departments while obtaining critical knowledge and resources about expectations to succeed at UHMC.
- First-Year (FY) Designated Courses are offered by a community of friendly and dedicated faculty and instructors who will serve as partners in helping first-year students build their academic foundation and make a successful transition to second year.
- Interdisciplinary Studies (IS 190V) is a one to three-credit courses that develop lifelong learning skills and connects students to UHMC's resources. Course topics include time management, budgeting, study skills development, career exploration and more.
- Academic Skill - Students will be active in the college community and be responsible for their own learning and development by meeting with a tutor(s), visiting instructors during office hours, and attend classes regularly
- Career Purpose - Students will explore their personal and career interests and plot out an education plan for degree completion leading toward their career goals.
- Campus Resources - Learn essential college skills, learn research and literacy skills, and use campus resources achieve their academic goals.
- Peer Connection - Students will connect with college personnel, resources, and Peers Navigators to build a campus community and support system by joining a campus club and attending campus activities.